Bacon Wrapped Asparagus is not only a visually appealing dish but also surprisingly easy to prepare. This delightful combination of tender asparagus and crispy bacon can elevate any meal, whether it’s a brunch, a special holiday dinner, or a casual steak night. This recipe brings together the savory allure of bacon with the earthy freshness of asparagus, creating a side dish that’s as tasty as it is visually appealing.
Easy Steps to Create Bacon Wrapped Asparagus:
- Preheat the Oven:Begin by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Prepare the Asparagus: Rinse the fresh asparagus and snap off the tough ends. While pre-cut asparagus can be convenient, it’s a good idea to snap off any woody ends that may still remain.
- Drizzle and Season: Lay sets of three asparagus spears on a baking sheet. Drizzle them with olive oil and season with a pinch of kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. The olive oil helps the bacon crisp up and adds a touch of flavor to the dish.
- Wrap with Bacon: Take one slice of standard cut bacon and wrap it around each bundle of asparagus. The bacon not only adds a salty and savory flavor but also contributes to the dish’s aesthetic appeal.
- Bake to Perfection: Place the wrapped asparagus bundles in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes. The bacon should become crispy, and the asparagus should be tender when pierced with a fork.
- Serve and Enjoy:Once the bacon wrapped asparagus is done baking, remove it from the oven. Serve it immediately as a delicious side dish that’s sure to impress your guests or family members.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 1.5 pounds of fresh asparagus
- 8 slices of standard cut bacon
- ½ tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
Useful Tips for Success:
- Use regular cut bacon: Regular cut bacon works best for this recipe. Thicker bacon can take longer to cook, potentially overcooking the asparagus.
- Choose similar-sized asparagus: Opt for asparagus spears that are similar in thickness to ensure even cooking.
- Make it extra crispy: For extra crispy bacon, consider using aluminum foil to wrap the bacon around the asparagus. Pre-cook the bacon for 10 minutes, then wrap it around the asparagus and continue baking.
- Keep asparagus fresh: Store asparagus in a jar with water in the fridge to keep it fresh for a week or more.
- Prosciutto: Swap out the bacon for prosciutto, but adjust the cooking time accordingly to prevent overcooking the prosciutto.
- Garlic Twist: Add minced garlic or garlic salt for extra flavor.
- Lemon Zest: Include a teaspoon of lemon zest or a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice for a tangy twist.
Can You Prepare Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in Advance?
Absolutely! You can prepare the bacon wrapped asparagus ahead of time and refrigerate it in an airtight container for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to serve, simply bake it according to the instructions.
Storing Leftovers and Reheating:
Any leftover bacon wrapped asparagus can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for about 4-5 days. To reheat and maintain the crispiness of the bacon, use an air fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the leftover bacon wrapped asparagus in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 2 minutes and check for desired crispiness. If needed, cook for an additional minute.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 485 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Protein: 34g
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 21g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- Sodium: 2283mg
- Fiber: 9g
- Sugar: 6g
In conclusion, Bacon Wrapped Asparagus is a stunning yet simple dish that combines the rich flavors of bacon with the freshness of asparagus. With just a few basic ingredients and easy steps, you can create an impressive side dish that’s perfect for various occasions. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or enjoying a family meal, this recipe is sure to delight your taste buds and those of your guests.
- What is Bacon Wrapped Asparagus?
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus is a side dish made by wrapping tender asparagus spears with slices of bacon and baking them until the bacon is crispy and the asparagus is tender. The combination of savory bacon and fresh asparagus creates a delicious and visually appealing dish.
- Why is Bacon Wrapped Asparagus a popular side dish?
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus is popular because it offers a delightful contrast of flavors and textures. The salty and crispy bacon complements the earthy and tender asparagus, creating a harmonious combination that appeals to various taste preferences.
- What occasions is Bacon Wrapped Asparagus suitable for?
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus is suitable for a wide range of occasions, including brunches, holiday meals, dinner parties, and casual family dinners. Its impressive presentation and delicious taste make it a versatile side dish.
- What are the basic steps to prepare Bacon Wrapped Asparagus?
The basic steps to prepare Bacon Wrapped Asparagus include preheating the oven, rinsing and preparing the asparagus, drizzling with olive oil and seasoning, wrapping each bundle with bacon, baking until crispy, and serving immediately.
- Can you prepare Bacon Wrapped Asparagus ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare Bacon Wrapped Asparagus ahead of time. You can wrap the asparagus with bacon and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before baking.
- How can you keep asparagus fresh for a longer period?
To keep asparagus fresh for a longer period, store it in a large jar with water in the fridge. This helps prevent wilting and maintains the freshness of the asparagus for up to a week or more.
- What are some recipe variations for Bacon Wrapped Asparagus?
Some recipe variations for Bacon Wrapped Asparagus include using prosciutto instead of bacon, adding minced garlic or garlic salt for extra flavor, and incorporating lemon zest or lemon juice for a tangy twist.
- How can you reheat leftover Bacon Wrapped Asparagus?
To reheat leftover Bacon Wrapped Asparagus while maintaining its crispiness, use an air fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 375°F, place the leftover bundles in the air fryer basket, and cook for 2 minutes. Check for desired crispiness and cook for an additional minute if needed.
- What are the nutritional values of Bacon Wrapped Asparagus?
For a serving size of 4, Bacon Wrapped Asparagus contains approximately 485 calories, 20g of carbohydrates, 34g of protein, 32g of fat, 9g of saturated fat, 21g of polyunsaturated fat, 68mg of cholesterol, 2283mg of sodium, 9g of fiber, and 6g of sugar.
- How does Bacon Wrapped Asparagus combine different flavors and textures?
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus combines the salty and savory flavor of bacon with the tender and earthy taste of asparagus. The crispy texture of the bacon contrasts with the soft texture of the asparagus, creating a balanced and enjoyable eating experience.